Sometimes our prayers seem general and distant. Here are a few specific prayer concerns arising in this challenging time and suggested by the Joint Public Issues Team of which the URC is a member church.
- Fruit pickers. Unions warn that women picking strawberries in Spain for UK supermarkets are experiencing deteriorating work conditions and lack protection from Covid-19 infection. We pray for their safety and an end to the exploitation of workers.
- Democratic Republic of Congo. Covid-19 threatens to delay their response to the latest Ebola outbreak. We pray there is no escalation to the spread of Ebola and that they can maintain their crucial awareness raising and vaccination programmes.
- Young people. Over half of 16-24 year olds have reported experiencing ‘lockdown loneliness’. We pray for your comfort and for access to loving and caring support networks.
- Today we pray for households experiencing debt. There was a debt crisis before the pandemic, but Covid-19 has pushed a further 4.6 million people into debt. We pray for your provision, and for wisdom for government and charities supporting these individuals and families.
- Garment workers in Pakistan. Thousands have faced forced dismissals and have been left without months of pay due to the economic effect of Covid-19 on the industry. We pray for provision for their families and protection for workers’ rights.
God, hear our prayers.