In this desperate time of violence in Afghanistan, we can feel powerless. But we believe in the power of prayer. This prayer comes from Christian Aid, written by Ramani Leathard, Christian Aid’s Head of Region for South East Asia and Afghanistan.
Pray for Afghanistan
O God of mercy and of peace,
We hold before you the peoples of Afghanistan.
Be living bread to those who are hungry each day
Be healing and wholeness to those who have no access to health care amidst the ravages of pandemic
Be their true home to all who have been displaced
Be open arms of loving acceptance to those who fear because of their gender, ethnicity, religious or political views
Be peace to those engaged in armed conflict and those who live within its shadow.
Turn our hearts and minds to your ways of just and gentle peace,
Open our eyes to see you in all acts of compassionate care
Strengthen our hearts to step out in solidarity with your suffering people and
Hold us all in your unfailing love.
We pray in the name of Jesus Christ, who emptied himself of all but love in order to bring life in all its fullness.
Points for prayer
- Give thanks that our partners are still able to operate for now and that there is an indication that projects helping communities meet immediate and urgent needs will be allowed to continue.
- Pray for peace and protection for the Afghan people facing great uncertainty and the threat of serious human rights abuses.
- Pray in particular for women, girls and ethnic and religious minorities in Afghanistan, that hard-won advancements in rights will not be reversed.
- Pray for a coordinated and effective international response to the humanitarian crisis.
- Pray for support to reach all those in need of emergency assistance in Afghanistan because of the compounded effects of conflict, climate change and Covid-19.
- Pray in particular for the thousands of Afghan Internally Displaced People who are facing famine and who Christian Aid have been assisting through the hunger appeal launched in July.
- Pray that the devastating cuts to the aid budget will be reviewed, and that increased funding is made available immediately and effectively to Afghanistan.
- Pray for safe and open borders for all those who wish to and are able to leave Afghanistan. Pray that they would be met with sanctuary and hospitality.
- Pray for all who remain, for courage and protection. Pray with all those who ‘hope that the situation gets better and we can go back to a normal life with dignity, respect and peace.’
- Pray for the halting of attacks on civil society. For effective political negotiations. Pray for peace.